Dameron-Damron ties with Suffolk County, England, have been frequently
discussed. References to Dameron-Damron ownership of Henley Hall have
become rather common. Although no proof has been discovered that
definitely connects Lawrence Dameron with this group, circumstantial
evidence does seem to indicate that he possibly did originate from
Suffolk County, probably from the Ipswich vicinity. Below is the
extracted text of a section of The Manors of Suffolk, published
in England in 1905-1911, that provides a history of Henley and Henley
Hall. The complete text of the section appears here as it was published
except that the Dameron and Damron names are shown in bold print. Yes,
the name appears in both spellings.
A glossary of some of the more obscure words that are used follows
the body of the extracted text.
Walter Arthur, 1847-1910,
The Manors of Suffolk; notes on their history and
devolution, with some illustrations of the old manor houses. London,
T. F. Unwin, 1905-11.
Volume 2. Pages 320-322:
n the time of King
Edward the Confessor a manor was held here by Uluric, a freeman, who
had a carucate of land and 70 acres. Attached to this manor were 2
bordars, 2 ploughteams in demesne, 1 belonging to the tenants, 4 acres
of meadow, 3 rouncies, 2 beasts, 10 hogs, and 40 sheep. Also a church
with 8 acres, valued altogether at 40s. By the time of the Domesday
Survey, the value had increased to 48s., the manor being then held by
Roger of Walter the Deacon, and the King and the Earl having the soc.
The details of the belongings of the manor had considerably varied, for
at the time of the Survey there were 6 bordars, 3 beasts, 2 hogs, and
43 sheep, but one less ploughteam in demesne. There were also held by
Walter the Deacon, 6 freemen with 36 acres, 1 plough team in place of 1
1/2 employed earlier, of which the value was 7s., as against the
valuation in Saxon days of 6s. 8d. This also Roger held of Walter the
second manor was included in the possessions of this Walter the Deacon.
It had been held in the Confessor's time by Swaine, a freeman, with 40
acres. There was 1 ploughteam, together with 1 bordar. The earlier
valuation was 10s., but by the time of the Survey the value had risen
to 18s. This Walter the Deacon held in demesne. 1t (whatever this
referred to) was one league in length and half a league in breadth, and
it paid in a gelt 20d. Both of this last manor and the preceding
holding the King and the Earl had the soc.
third manor was held in the Confessor's time by Tepekin, a freeman
under commendation to Harold, and consisted of 2 carucates. There were
16 bordars, 4 serfs, 3 ploughteams in demesne and 4 belonging to the
tenants, 8 acres of meadow, wood sufficient for 6 hogs, 7 beasts, 14
hogs, and 30 sheep. To the church appertained 2 acres. The
whole was valued at £4. At the time of the Great Survey this manor was
held by Eudo the Steward in his demesne of Roger de Oburville the
tenant in chief, and the value had decreased to £3. The serfs by this
time seem to have disappeared, and there was a ploughteam less in
demesne, and also one less belonging to the tenants. To this manor 4
freemen having 8 acres and a team of 2 oxen valued at 2s. were added,
and of these the King and the Earl had the soc.
were also in this place a few small holdings. Robert Malet held a
freeman under commendation to Stanwin with 3 acres under Harold, valued
at 8d. This at the time of the Survey was held by Humfrey. Humfrey held
of Robert Malet 3 acres which had formerly been held by a freeman under
commendation to Stanwin under Harold, valued at 8d. The soc was in the
abbot. In the possessions of Roger de Poictou was a freeman holding 6
acres, valued at 12d., of which holding the soc was in the King; and a
freewoman with half an acre valued at 1d. of which holding the soc was
in the King and the Earl. The Abbot of Ely held a freeman by
commendation and soc, having half an acre, valued at 1d.
amongst the lands of Isaac, the Domesday tenant in chief, were 16 acres
of free land in Henley, but belonging to Hemingstone, and included in
MANOR OF HENLEY
three manors in Henley must at a very early date have gone into two or
merged into one, for it is not quite clear whether there were not two
manors here in the middle of the 17th century. Roger de Oburville seems
to have been the chief lord in the time of William the Conqueror,
though Davy assigns this position to Roger de Poictou. In the time of
King John the Bishop of Norwich must have had a considerable holding in
Henley, as he had then a grant from the Crown of the view of
frankpledge and assize of bread and ale. The Bishop no doubt exercised
manorial rights, and in 1307 we find a grant of free warren to the
prior of Holy Trinity, Norwich.
Davy MSS. state that John Sturmyn held the manor, and that in 1239 the
same passed to his son and heir, Robert Sturmyn, also that in 1259 John
de Weyland was lord, and had a grant of free warren here. The lordship
seems to have belonged later to the Honor of Eye, for it was included
in the grant made of this by King Edw. III. to his brother, John of
Eltham, Earl of Cornwall, who died without issue. Amongst the
Ministers' Accounts in the Public Record Office for 10 Edw. III. will
be found the Commissioner and Receivers' Accounts of land there stated
to be "late of John, Earl of Cornwall," in Henley.
manor subsequently became vested in Bartholomew, Lord Burghersh, for he
obtained a charter of free warren in 1349 to himself, his wife, and
their heirs, and on his death the manor passed to his daughter and
heir, Elizabeth, wife of Edward Despencer. A fine was levied of the
Manor of "Henley Hall, in 1546 by William Dameron and others against
Thomas Sekford and others, but the following year there appears to have
been a grant by letters patent of confirmation by the King, and an Act
of Parliament vesting the manor in the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and
amongst the Additional Charters in the Brit. Mus. will be found a Lease
granted in 1567 by the said Dean and Canons both of the manor and the
advowson to Thomas Gooche.
the Exchequer Depositions are particulars of four different suits
respecting the manor and the advowson, all of which show that the Dean
and Canons were interested. The first was taken at Henley in 1611-12 in
a suit betewen [sic] Daniel Heron and John Maplesden respecting the
manor, parsonage, vicarage, and tithes, and in it is mentioned an
agreement between the Monastery of Norwich and Thomas Gooch touching
second was taken at Codenham in 1621 in a suit between the same Daniel
Heron and the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral Church of the Holy
Trinity, Norwich, and others. It related to the town and vicarage, the
manor and the tithes, and these are stated to have been the possessions
of the late monastery of Norwich. Sir Richard Sorrell, John Maplesden,
and Richard Hutchinson, vicars, are mentioned.
third was taken also at Codenham the same year in a suit between the
said Daniel Heron and Andrew Sorrell; and the fourth was also taken at
Codenham in 1634 in a suit between the said Dean and Chapter and
Jeremias Catlyn and others respecting the manor and parsonage of Henley
and rectory of Barham, and deals with meets, bounds, and
perambulations, and also encroachment tithes, and right of way. It is
in view of what has been said above that we are inclined to think there
must have been two manors in Kenley, for it is clear that the existing
manor was vested in William Dameron at the time of his decease
in 1558, when it passed to his son and heir, John Dameron.
family had long been settled at Henley for we find amongst the wills of
residents here proved at Ipswich between 1444 and 1455, the will of Galfridus
Damron, and that of John Damron.
certainly had the hall, known as "Henley Hall." Edward Dameron
seems to have succeeded John. He married Margery, daughter of
Judge Clench, of Holbrook. Edmund, their son, sold the manor
and hall to Ralph Meadows, a younger son of William Meadows, of
Witnesham, in 1630. Meadows, who was one of the chief constables of the
Hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, and had an estate of about £200 a year,
married Mary, daughter of Robert Denny, of Stonham Parva, and died in
1679. John Meadows held the manor about 1750, and married Mary,
eldest daughter of Francis Brooke, of Kersey Priory. He died, and was
buried at Henley, 4th July, 1760, when the manor passed to his son and
heir, John Meadows, of Henley Hall, who in 1774 obtained an Act of
Parliament enabling him to take the surname and arms of Theobald
pursuant to the will of his aunt, Elizabeth Theobald, widow.
was High Sheriff for Suffolk in 1787, and married Elizabeth, daughter
of James Morgan, of Hemingstone. In 1776 another Act was passed to
amend the former, and also to enable John Meadows, eldest son of the
said John (then John Meadows Theobald) and the heirs of his body to
take the said surnamne and bear the arms of Theobald.
Meadows Theobald the elder died 2qth April, 1788, when John Meadows
Theobald, his son, succeeded. He was a Deputy Lieutenant and magistrate
for the county of Suffolk, and married 1st Mary, daughter of William
Snell, of Needham Market, who died without issue; and 2ndly, Mary
Penelope, widow of Thomas Barstone, Capt. in the service of the East
India Company, and daughter of William Strutt, of Sudbury, by whom he
had issue a son and a daughter. He died at Claydon Hall, 4th May, 1830,
in his 82nd year, when his only son, the Rev. John Meadows Theobald,
succeeded him. In 1885 Mrs. Catherine Theobald held the manor. Henley
Hall is now the residence and property of Mrs. Arthur Wolfe.
of MEADOW: Sa., a chevron Erm. betw. 3 pelicans with wings endorsed. Or.
Advowson was the right to present a cleric to a vacant
ecclesiastical benefice. A valued source of patronage, such rights
often came as part of a fief, though it could be granted on its own.
Beasts referred to cattle.
Bordars were smallholding cottagers of lesser
standing than villiens (the highest class of dependent peasantry, often
holding between 30 - 100 acres) but better off than cottars (lowest of
the main groupings of peasants in doomsday. They had 4 acres or less of
land to farm).
A carucate was a land measurement used in the
eastern counties of England that had been settled by the Danes; the
equivalent of a hide, about. 120 acres.
Desmesne was the highest class of dependent
peasantry, often holding between 30 - 100 acres. They were below
Frankpledge was a system to preserve law and
order that consisted of making members of a household or small village
(above the age of 12) all responsible for one anotherís behavior.
Gelt referred to Anglo-Saxon but may refer to
Dane Geld (gold).
Money: The common currency in England in the
late middle ages was the Pound consisting of a pound of silver which
was divided into 20 shillings (20s.) or 240 pence (240d.). One penny
equaled two half-pence or four farthings. Thus, for example, £1 11s.
6d. was the equivalent in decimal terms of £1.575.
A plough team was assessed as 8 oxen per team
- however this varied from area to area dependent on the harshness of
A rouncy was a riding horse.
A Soc, or soke, and sokeland was land
attached to a central manor for the payment of dues and for judicial
purposes. The Sokelands were often large in size and may be of very old